Awarding Body : OCR
Overview of Course
Learners will develop an understanding
of the organisation of computer systems including: software, hardware, data, communications and people. They will use this knowledge to solve computing and programming problems in a range of contexts, taking into account the consequences of social, legal and ethical issues within the technological world.
They will develop skills in project and time management and the capacity to think creatively, innovatively, analytically, logically and critically.
Course Entry Requirements
Learners should have a basic understanding and
knowledge of both hardware and software from their
Key Stage 4 studies. Preferably, learners should have a level 2 qualification in IT.
Content and Assessment
AS Level (A1 units)
Unit 1: Computer Fundamentals
- External assessment
- Hardware and Software
- Data transmission and networking, structure and management
- Systems development lifecycle
- Implications of computer use and characteristics of information systems
Unit 2: Programming Techniques and Logical Methods
- Designing solutions to problems
- The structure of procedural programme
- Data types and structures
- Common facilities of procedural languages
- Writing maintainable programs, testing and running solutions
A Level (A2 units)
Unit 3: Advanced Computing Theory
- The function of operating systems and translators
- Computer architecture and programming techniques
- Data representation, structures, manipulation and databases.
- High-level language programming paradigms, and
- Low-level languages
Unit 4: Computing Project
This unit provides learners with the opportunity to complete a substantial project over an extended period of time. They will demonstrate their skills in analysis, design, software, development, testing, implementation, documentation and evaluation, and their interrelation, to give a completed overall system that solves the problem
Computer Science could lead into such jobs as: Programming, Games Design, Cryptography, Computer Forensics, Data Analyst and Web Technologies.