Our students are prepared for life in the real world
Getting Our Students Ready for Work
Our careers provision is second-to-none, helping all of our students’ progress on to
apprenticeships, university or employment.
Our aim is to ensure every student will experience a careers programme of
activities that gives an insight into employability competencies, practical occupational
knowledge and key recruitment skills to make sure they are equipped for life outside
- raising aspirations and increasing motivation by helping young people identify
educational and occupational goals
- demonstrating the relevance of the knowledge and skills learnt in subjects to
future opportunities in learning and working
- providing work enrichment opportunities including work experience, workplace
visits, guest speakers and site visits.
You can see our details of our Careers Programme below:
Career Plans WMG Academy Coventry
Mrs Carmichael, the designated Careers Leader is on site five days a week and is
open to collaborating with potential employers and higher education institutions.
If you would like to work with us, or if you are a parent or prospective student with
questions, then please get in touch email@example.com
Sally Lucas is the Careers Link Trustee and Dan Thompson is the Link Teacher for Careers.
As an academy we are committed to upholding the eight Gatsby benchmarks of
good career guidance. This includes:
- Preparation and support for work experience applications and apprenticeships
- University workshops delivered by professionals from Warwick and Coventry
- Guest speakers from various industries giving updates on apprenticeship
placements and company insights
- Visits and industry insights organised in collaboration with subject areas linking
curriculum to careers
In addition, the students receive daily news on various opportunities including
summer school programmes, subject masterclasses, open days, work
experience, career insights and current apprenticeships and employment
Our careers plans are assessed three times a year using the Careers and Enterprise Compass evaluation tool to ensure we are in line with the Gatsby Benchmarks and to continually improve. We also routinely ask for feedback from teachers, employers, parents and students to understand the impact of our plans and target areas of improvement. Ultimately our goal is for every student to have a positive destination after our academy, which includes further and higher education, apprenticeships or employment.
The career plans are reviewed annually. The next review will be July 2022.
In keeping with our commitment to provide students with outstanding careers guidance and tailored support when choosing their next step after school, we will now be using Unifrog; an award-winning, online careers platform. All students in Years now have access to this excellent website.
The Unifrog platform is designed to support learners in making the most informed decisions about their futures and has a range of tools that are suitable for all year groups. Each student has their own personal account that provides a wide range of information related to their interests and aspirations. Key features of the platform include:
- Exploring Pathways – personality quizzes, career and subject profiles, MOOCs and webinars
- Recording – self-reflection about extracurricular activities and key employability skills
- Opportunities – search tools showing live vacancies/courses/placements for apprenticeships, universities (in the UK and abroad), FE, virtual work experience and much more
- Applications – tools to help students build applications for a range of pathways (e.g., CVs, Personal Statements, Common App Essays)
Try The Careerometer
Click on the widget below and type in a job title to find out information such as salaries and how many vacancies are predicted.
We are proud of the destinations our students go to, please click here to some case
studies which showcase what our students go on to do.
Ofsted said of WMG Academy Coventry:
“Pupils are well prepared for their next stages in education and for life in modern
“Pupils are confident and articulate; they work well independently and in groups. Many are excited by their studies because they understand the relationship between their lessons and their future careers.”
|WMG Academy Coventry
Destinations KS5 (%)
|Gap Year / Other||2||3%||4||5%||4||5%||7||11%||2||3%|
|WMG Academy Coventry
Destinations KS4 (%)
|WMGA Sixth Form||30||29%||28||31%||36||42%||42||36%||50||63%|
|Other Sixth Form||5||5%||4||4%||8||9%||3||3%||3||4%|
|Further Education / College||42||40%||39||43%||27||31%||53||46%||19||24%|
|L3+ Apprenticeship /Work||26||25%||20||22%||13||15%||16||14%||3||4%|